Lemon water has been lauded as a wellness panacea for a long time.
One of my favorite morning rituals is drinking warm water with lemon. Many people question if this is just a “trend” or if lemon water is here to stay so I wanted to break down some of the potential benefits below.
- 01. Boosts the immune system – Vitamin C is essential to a properly functioning immune system. Lemon juice happens to be a good source of it. This antioxidant can also help protect our cells from damaging free radicals.
- 02. Aids in digestion – Lemons are full of citric acid, which can act as an effective natural laxative and get things moving. Citric acid also helps fight toxins in the digestive tract, which can relieve symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn and bloat.
- 03. Provides a potassium boost – Potassium is one of the most important minerals in our bodies. It helps to regulate nerve-muscle communication, to transport nutrients and waste, and to manage fluid balance.
- 04. Promotes hydration – Most of us don’t drink enough water. A daily lemon water habit helps flood the body with necessary hydration right off the bat (and makes it taste better too!)
- 05. Fights inflammation – Drinking lemon water on an empty stomach in the morning results in a more alkaline state (i.e it lowers acidity and creates more balance within the body). In addition, the antioxidants in lemons are strong anti-inflammatory agents that can help to decrease swelling, thus allowing the body to rebuild any damaged tissue.
- 06. Purifies the skin and other cells – Lemons can boost the purification abilities of our cells by instructing our skin cells to detox and to eliminate impurities which can sometimes clog our pores and cause acne.
So is lemon water going to solve all of your health problems? Probably not. However, there are several potential health benefits that can invigorate your daily routine.
How to: Try squeezing half of a lemon into water (warm is recommended) first thing in the morning and wait about 15 minutes before having breakfast. Get creative. Try adding in chlorophyll, mint, raw honey, ginger, or turmeric for added health benefits!